Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Random Crafts

This past month I have been on a crafting kick. I found a couple of blogs that post cute crafts along with simple tutorials and I have been hooked. It all started with these:
Valentine table runners. Sadly, the first two projects I started are the only ones left unfinished. I bought the fabric on sale after Vday and I am almost finished with the lower one, but I don't like how it turned out.
The couches in my living room are large and blue (and free), and I haven't really wanted to decorate my room around them. Recently I decided I could do some tan on tan neutral pillows to maybe soften the blue, but throw pillows are so expensive! So, last week I was shopping at DI and saw this awesome fabric! It was a little scary buying fabric at DI, but I think they turned out perfect. I think the whole project cost me less than $14 and I can still make another pillow.
This chair was another DI find. I want to repaint it, but for now I just recovered it, added some extra padding, and put it in my foyer. A $15 project.
This one isn't really crafty, but kind of. I had an extra piece of wood hanging around so I made this sign for Logan's room about a year ago. Theron always called Logan "our little guy". I just found the font online, printed it out on regular paper, cut it out to make stencils and painted in the letters. It looked lonely on the wall so I painted some picture frames white and randomly hung them below.

Another cheap project: a hooded towel. When I was at my aunt's Bear Lake condo a few weeks ago, she had all white towels with a few bright blue ones to add color and I thought it was so pretty. I found these blue towel sets at WalMart on clearance for $4, hung one set and made this hooded towel out of the other. I just googled "make a hooded towel" and found these directions: http://infarrantlycreative.blogspot.com/search/label/Hooded%20Towel


I've seen a lot of homemade baby shoes recently and I didn't think they could be that hard, so I googled. I found a couple of patterns, but this one made the most sense: http://www.family-centered.com/needleworks/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/babyshoetutorial.pdf. They can be really cute if you add embellishments, buttons, straps, bows, etc. I also added fabric paint on the soles for a little traction.



No comments: